Cabbage rolls, or Holubtsi as they are called in Ukrainian, are a classic dish found in many Eastern European cuisines. These flavorful cabbage rolls are filled with a delightful mixture of meat, rice, and spices. After being cooked in a delicious tomato sauce, they become tender and flavorful. Follow this simple recipe to create your own delicious cabbage rolls.
2. Carefully remove the outer leaves from a large cabbage head. Boil them in salted water for about 5 minutes to make them soft and easy to roll. Drain them and let them cool slightly.
– 1 large cabbage head
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
– 1 finely chopped onion
– 500 grams of ground meat (such as a mixture of beef and pork)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 500 grams of crushed tomatoes
– 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
– 1 tablespoon of sugar
– 1 teaspoon of vinegar
2. Add 1 finely chopped onion and sauté until translucent and lightly golden.
3. Add 500 grams of ground meat (such as a mixture of beef and pork) to the pan and cook until fully cooked.
4. In a bowl, combine the sautéed onion and ground meat with the cooked rice. Season with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices to taste.
5. Take one cabbage leaf at a time and place a small amount of the filling in the center of the leaf. Roll up the leaf and fold in the sides to seal the filling. Continue with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
6. Place the stuffed cabbage rolls in an ovenproof dish or pot.
2. Pour the tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls in the dish or pot.
3. Cover the dish or pot with foil and bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the cabbage rolls are fully cooked and the flavors have blended well.
Enjoy these flavorful and satisfying Russian dumplings!
CIORBĂ DE BURTĂ